This is a question we need to ask ourselves?
We Live in a world that is volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous that no one can tell us what’s in store for 2023. We have been asking this question every year and we could not find the answers out there. It was even more profound in the past three years of the pandemic and the global economic crisis.
The response to this dilemma from my experience is to reflect using some guiding questions. I found this approach so useful that I could say that I had one of the best years of my life in 2022.
Without boring you with what I achieved I would like to say that I attempted to live a purposeful life. A life of service to my world. When making crucial decisions, I asked myself what would be the course of action that is best aligned with my purpose. What action would I be most proud taking. Please search with the key word ‘purpose’ in this blog to explore ideas about living purposefully.
The following questions are useful in taking the energy and learnings from 2022. Reflect on these questions with your family or on your own regarding your personal life and with your team or on your own with regard to your team at work.
- What are the two or three biggest gain we had during the year?
- What did we learn from the gains?
- What are the two or three biggest losses we had during the year?
- What did we learn from the losses?
- How did we change the way we live and work?
- What will stop, what will we continue?
- What are the new investments we made?
- What will we retain, what will we dispose?
Thereafter it will be great to reflect on the following questions for 2023.
- What are the two or three biggest outcomes for 2023 that you/family/team would be proud of?
- What baby steps would you take to start the journey towards these outcomes?
- What obstacles are you likely to face in the journey?
- What steps would you take, who should be informed, who can you gain support from to deal with the likely obstacles?
These questions will lead to interesting conversation that will culminate with interesting decisions and action. Continue to reflect on the outcome of the action and take new actions so that you can find practical solutions for the opportunities and threats presented to you.
I will be happy to know how your reflections and conversations went. Please do let me know and reach out if I can be of any assistance.
Wishing you a Purposeful, Passionate, Prosperous 2023