Top Performance requires us to ensure that top teams are set up, developed, nurtured and rewarded appropriately. Most companies miss this important point. Here is a summary of the insights from the ‘Top Performance through Top Teams’ session by Omar Khan held on the 21st of January 2014.
Inappropriate strategy deployed by the organisations to measure/improve business performance is one of the key reasons that teams remain average teams delivering average performance.
- They focus too much on individuals
- They focus too much on how to work than how it works (excessively process driven)
- They create and run ‘Vertical Organisations’ – Hierarchies are created to fix responsibilities, which in turn dilute the authority resulting in indecisiveness / delays/non fulfilment of commitments made to all stakeholders
- When an organisation faces a problem, if they have mediocre team members, they will strongly believe in maintaining/defending status-quo.
- The biggest untracked cost of such companies is commitments made and not followed up.
Therefore following are the appropriate strategy for the organisations to measure/improve business performance.