Take the best of 2015 to make the best of 2016 (part 1): The gratitude List
As we wind up 2015 and start looking in to 2016, let me propose a few steps we can take to take the best of 2015 and make the best of 2016.
The first step I propose is a gratitude list. This is a list of all the people and happenings in 2015 that we can be grateful for. It is amazing how many great things happened to us and sometimes they go un-noticed or we take them for granted. A gratitude list helps us to recall them, reflect on them and record them. This activity will energize us to start looking at 2016 with more eagerness, more energy and more enthusiasm.
Here are a few items in my gratitude list. This is still been written and as I write it I remember more people and events I can be grateful for.
- For Lord Jesus Christ for guiding, keeping and protecting me as I dealt with the various opportunities and challenges provided to me during the year.
- For Lord Jesus Christ for giving us the opportunity and means to visit holy places in Italy (the Vatican, St Anthony’s shrine and other places of religious and historic interest) and to be able to take my mother and the family on this pilgrimage.
- For my mother for always been there for me to share my challenges and success.
- For my wife Jennifer for being the guardian angel to my 3 daughters during the year, specially when I had to be away from home serving my clients
- For my wife Jennifer who managed all logistical aspects regard to my affairs in Sri Lanka, allowing me the space to focus on serving my clients.
- To my eldest daughter Natasha for continuing to inspire me by balancing all her roles as a Phd candidate, As a mentor at Apple, as a teacher at the City University and as peace ambassador for the Olympic truce and doing all of them at an exceptionally high standard.
- To my second daughter Menasha for excelling in her Masters studies in fashion marketing and being their with her sister and soul mate Natasha.
- To my third daughter Radeesha for being so adorable and loving and for her wonderful culinary creations of cakes, pastries and what not.
- To my senior partner Omar Khan for giving me a free hand to develop the business in this region and to lead my team serving our clients.
- To my team members at Sensei during the year, Caroline, Ejaz, Fahim, Farzana, Florentina, Lester, Partho, Prarthana, Riaz, Siddeshwar, Tanzi, who helped in designing, developing and delivering our services to our clients.
- To the clients of Sensei who trusted us with their most important asset, their people and gave us the opportunity to serve them.
- For the faculty, batch mates, my supervisor Geoff and my Doctoral Support Group (Roger, Britta and Kavitha) of the Ashridge Doctorate in Organisational Change (ADOC) for being a part of a new journey of self discovery and learning deep in to the body of knowledge that gives me new ways of learning, thinking and serving the world.
I recommend you do your gratitude list and stay tuned in. I will be back with further guidance in helping you to do a spectacular transition from 2015 in to 2016.
Wish you purposeful living with happiness and excellence.
Ranjan De Silva